Monday, August 25, 2008

The Followup

A day later and I'm back to the NYC, back at my desk, showered, tired, sore, awesome still - which is obvi, but otherwise still not completely over what was an amazing weekend.

There's reasons runners hold certain races and events up as the holy grails of the sport. Boston is obviously one, and having run over half of it this past year I can say that lived up to the hype. It was kind of like being a midget at the Wizard of Oz museum (which sadly enough exists and is at this very moment likely FILLED with little folks). Just from having been involved with the NYC Marathon for the last couple years I can say the energy from the race is insane. I've seen people come into bars after the race and get standing ovations. Dude just finished 35,256th and people are buying him beers. The marathon trials in the park last year were intense. Seeing Hall high fiving people at 4:40 pace made me wanna run. Plus I've run halfs, I've run 5Ks, I've run in High School State Championships, I've run college D1 XC races, I've been on some of the sickest trails in the Northeast, etc. Point is I'm no stranger to this running thing - old hand some would say - and this experience was by far the raddest thing I've ever been involved in. There's not even really a close second.

Lets take a quick look at where I was this weekend:

My team = Awesometown

My van = The capital of Awesometown, Awesometown City

My legs = Awesometown City Hall, also known as the Hall of Awesome

Me = The Mayor of Awesometown (maybe Deputy Mayor aka the Deputy of Dope, or like Recording Secretary which doesn't get a cool title but whatever), just feeding the warrior and making it rain


Plus, when all was said and done we did phenomenally finishing 99th - TOP 100 BABY! And not like 99 out of 100, but 99 out of 1000 with an average pace of 8:49. It's just super dopetasticism.

All in all thanks to everyone who made this such a great experience - from top to bottom this event and all the people I was able to meet and hang with over the course of this weekend rock my $15 DryFit socks. On a weekend without a cloud in the sky we truly made it rain.

Church on the Move playas!

No comments: